Apricot Almond Tart (GF)




I have always been partial to apricots. I have fond memories of perusing the Trastevere market in Rome and being given free apricots by a friendly vendor - a gift unrelated to the fact that my sister and I were young and blonde, of course. Apricots, to me, are the perfect summer fruit. They are sweet, juicy, and full of flavor. Unlike nectarines and peaches, however, they don't have the frustrating tendency to cling obstinately to their pit. Apricots were made to be consumed. I have had my eye on Tartelette's apricot and almond tart for quite some time now and today I finally decided to make it. I have been making countless gluten free tart crusts these past few months, and this recipe was an entirely different technique from anything else I've tried. Instead of the classic cutting cold butter into flour, this recipe had me creaming butter and egg yolks. Needless to say, I was a little doubtful at first. Despite my initial skepticism, I soon fell head-over-heels for this delicious buttery crust. It is by far the best gluten-free sweet crust I have tried to date. The smooth almond frangipane subtly sweetened with honey and the fresh cooked apricots were an incredible combination. This is definitely a tart that I will be making again.
The only change I made to the recipe was the number of apricots used. Either because my pan was much smaller or my apricots much larger, I only managed to fit five apricot halves where Tartelette used sixteen. The quantities of the rest of the recipe were perfect, so I think it was the fault of the apricots. 
My final recommendation is to eat a light dinner before serving this tart - you will want to save room!



0 comments:

Post a Comment